Thursday, April 21, 2011

The unique gift of Dawna Markova



I am a great admirer of writers that evoke an interest that will not let us leave their pages of written thoughts. That is what the unique gift of Dawna Markova’s voice does for me.

Dawna Markova Ph.D is a psychotherapist internationally known for her groundbreaking work in helping people learn with passion and live on purpose.


You can visit her through the website: dawnamarkova.com


I can vaguely remember how I first acquired her book; I will not die an unlived life. It travelled in the trunk of my car for about a year, and then on a spring clean out made its way to my bookshelf. I originally picked it up off an offering table in the building I was working in and it was garbage bound, as it had been there for days. I remember picking it up and thinking what a cool title it had, but caught myself thinking: If it's so good what is it doing on the go to garbage table. I quickly glanced in the front jacket and saw the second hand price of $2.99, and for whatever reason tucked it under my arm since no one else wanted it, and claimed it as mine.


I count it as one of my best and favorite treasure reads. Dawna’s writing is like poetry, which is what you are treated to on the first page of Chapter 1.



~Living Wide Open:

Landscapes of the Mind~

I will not die an unlived life.

I will not live in fear

of falling or catching fire.

I choose to inhabit my days,

to allow my living to open me,

to make me less afraid,

more accessible,

to loosen my heart

until it becomes a wing,

a torch, a promise.

I choose to risk my significance,

to live so that which came to me as seed

goes to the next as blossom,

and that which came to me as blossom,

goes on as fruit.



This is an excerpt from Chapter 9, The Spot of Grace:


What’s unfinished for you to give? In the thousands of moments that string together to make up our lives, there are some where time seems to change its shape and a certain light falls across our ordinary path. We stop searching for purpose, we become it. Looking back, we might describe these moments as times when we were at our best, when the gifts we were born with and the talents we have developed were braided with what we love and the needs of the world.




“If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.”


~JESUS, GOSPEL OF SAINT THOMAS



This is an excerpt from Chapter 14: What Have I Been Given with Which to Give?


What are your inner gifts and talents? Most of us are reasonably articulate about our deficits and weaknesses-how many we got wrong on our spelling tests, how many things we have failed to accomplish during any given day. We become fluent at explaining our incompetencies, but look straight at our gifts and talents and then mutter, “Oh, that old thing?” This leaves us awkward and confused about how to bring our assets and resources to the rest of the community. Too many of us believe we don’t matter, and that what we do doesn’t really make a difference.




“While you have a thing it can be taken from you… but when you give it, no robber can take it from you. It will be yours always.”


~JAMES JOYCE



Have a beautiful day,



Photo: 'lift your eyes up' PKM



Joy,


Rena


www.talktotheturtle.com

No comments:

Post a Comment