Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Seven Wonders of the World and silver charms









Last night as I worked on a gift that was designed around two silver charms my mind started to wander.  I had uploaded  my blog entry post  earlier in the day  with the 100 things I want to do before I go.  On that list I included visiting  the Seven Wonders of the World. 


For whatever reason I woke early this morning thinking to myself, what are the Seven Wonders of the World? I realized I could only remember one and that it was the Pyramids in Egypt.  I quickly turned on my computer to wikipedia and started to read about the most notable places on earth.

When I was younger you would have had to run and get your hard copy encyclopedia that your parents would have most likely purchased from a door to door salesman.  I just sat back in my chair with coffee in hand and thought how amazing it must be for students in today's public schools. The fact that they can surf the net for information must be so time saving.  

I had to search through several sites as the information about the Seven Wonders of the World had some varied  information.  For example the Egyptian Pyramids were listed under the Ancient Wonders of the world or The Original Seven.


I read on to discover that The Seven Wonders of the World has historically been a listing of seven sites known to the Ancient Greeks as the most remarkable locations in their known world.  I also found it interesting to read that the limitation of the list to the seven sites was attributed to the special magical meaning of the number 7.  


You can click on this link: Wikipedia.org-Seven Wonders of the Ancient World to read about each of these original ancient sites.  The only one that still exists is the Great Pyramid of Giza.  

Original Ancient Seven Wonders of the World:

The Great Pyramid of Giza
The Hanging Gardens of Babylon
The Temple of Artemis at Ephesus
The Statue of Zeus at Olympia
The Mausoleum at Helicarnassus
The Colossus of Rhodes
The Lighthouse of Alexandria



In 1997, CNN introduced a listing of Seven Natural Wonders of the World and you can click on this link to read about these sites: 7 Wonders of the World

The Natural Wonders of the World:

The Grand Canyon - U.S.A.
The Great Barrier Reef - Australia
The Harbor at Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
Mount Everest - Himalayas
The Northern Lights - Aurora Borealis
Paricutin Volcano - Mexico
Victoria Falls - Southern Africa



In July 7, 2007 (7-7-07) the new set of Seven Wonders of the World was introduced based on online voting from around the world. You can click on this link to read about the new sites: new7Wonders of the World.

The "New" Seven Wonders of the World:

The Chichen Itza, Mayan City - Mexico
The Christ Redeemer, Statue - Brazil
The Great Wall - China
Machu Picchu - Peru
Petra, Ancient City - Jordan
The Roman Colosseum - Italy
The Taj Mahal - India

There were 13 finalists on the list  in addition that made finalist mention classification  that you can read about on the above link.   

I also read that the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) also lists some amazing designated Heritage Sites as well. 

Wow, I had no idea that my desire of something I listed as a dream would involve so much worldly thought.  Today's students researching for information have volumes of information to wade through now, which they can reflect on  and have their own opinions about.

In keeping with that thought I would like to share with you the most notable Idea that I have find to be very inspiring.  I have included a video by the First Lady of The United States, Michelle Obama on her introduction to DonorsChoose.org.

This unique charitable organization has an online donation page where you can choose from a list  of ongoing public school projects that the teachers have listed for their independent classrooms.  This is the future of the true wonders of the world in my humble opinion.  


In my desire to learn and reach out more than what I knew I was led to this video. 


I introduce you to DonorsChoose.org  - It speaks for itself.









Have a beautiful day,



Photo: "Gods work" PKM



Joy,


Rena


www.talktotheturtle.com















No comments:

Post a Comment